HCS Job Description: Box Office Manager
The Box Office Manager is required to ensure that all appropriate tickets are available for sale for concerts and to arrange the sale thereof.
The Box Office Manager is elected at the Society’s Annual General Meeting (AGM). He or she is an honorary officer of the Society and a member of the Committee of the Society, in which the management of all aspects of choir business, including all arrangements for rehearsals and concerts and the control of finance, is vested. The post is normally held for three years, after which re-election is required. The Box Office Manager is a Trustee of the Society (see attached Trustee Guide).
The Box Office Manager is not empowered to enter into any commitment or incur any expenditure on behalf of the Society, except as expressly authorised by the Committee or by the Chair acting on behalf of the Committee.
The Box Office Manager:
- ascertains from the Publicity Manager what concert title is to go on the tickets;
- ascertains ticket prices from the Committee;
- decides ticket format, adding date and title of next concert as well as details of this one;
- passes the above information to the Website Administrator as soon as known;
- orders the tickets from the supplier in good time;
- on receipt of tickets, checks accuracy and passes invoice to Treasurer;
- sets up dedicated sales page on website of the online sales provider, using appropriate information (e.g. as written by Publicity team for flyer) and allocates an appropriate number of tickets (usually 20) for sale online;
- arranges for a proportion of tickets to be sold through a nominated retail outlet (normally 20-30 tickets);
- sells tickets to choir members at rehearsals, maintaining a record of the number sold and passing takings to Treasurer (less float – see below);
- receives telephone requests for tickets and arranges for their collection at the door on the night of the concert;
- gives complimentary tickets as required to Chair (for Patrons), Secretary (for press reviewer), Concert Manager (for soloists), Musical Director and retail outlets;
- provides Manager of Friends of HCS with an allocation of tickets to sell to the Friends;
- passes ticket sales numbers to the Stage Manager;
- at rehearsals during the week before the concert, obtains volunteers from the choir (and their partners) for front of house and door steward duties
- in advance of concert:
- downloads list of online sales and prepares tickets for online customers to pick up at door;
- collects takings, stubs and any unsold tickets from retail outlet and passes unsold tickets to door stewards and takings to Treasurer;
- passes pre-booked tickets to stewards for payment/collection at door;
- passes any other unsold tickets to door stewards for sale at door;
- provides door stewards with an appropriate float (retained from advance ticket sales)
- on the day of the concert, allocates responsibilities to members of front-of-house team:
- collecting ticket stubs (1-2 people)
- handing out programmes (1-2 people)
- helping Manager of Friends of HCS to identify Friends and show them to their reserved seats (1 person + Manager of Friends)
- showing other audience members to unreserved seats (2-4 people, depending on audience numbers expected)
- prepares a review of tickets sold and reports to the Committee;
- undertakes such other tasks and duties as may be delegated by the Chair.