HCS Job Description: Chair
The Chair is required to ensure that the objectives of the Society are met, including ensuring that such supplementary tasks and duties as may be necessary have been undertaken, either personally or by delegation.
The Chair is elected at the Society’s Annual General Meeting (AGM). He or she is an honorary officer of the Society and a member of the Committee of the Society, in which the management of all aspects of choir business, including all arrangements for rehearsals and concerts and the control of finance, is vested. The post is normally held for three years, after which re-election is required. The Chair is a Trustee of the Society (see attached Trustee Guide). He or she is also a de facto member of the Music sub-committee.
The Chair is not empowered to enter into any commitment or incur any expenditure on behalf of the Society, except as expressly authorised by the Committee, or, exceptionally, where a decision is required as a matter of urgency and it is not possible to consult Committee members in advance. Any such action must be reported to the Committee for formal ratification, if necessary, at its next convenient meeting.
- represents the Society as a whole and acts on its behalf when appropriate;
- is a focal point for the Choir eg by making announcements at rehearsals, encouraging ticket sales and volunteers, being readily available for Members and the Musical Director to contact;
- signs cheques and authorises online payments as required (any two signatures/authorisations of Chair, Secretary or Treasurer);
- acts as joint account holder of the Society’s savings account (as required);
- negotiates, in consultation with the Committee, the fees for the Musical Director and Accompanist;
- determines, in consultation with the Committee, the level of the annual payment for membership of the Society (subscription and tuition fee);
- submits requests for an annual grant to the Society’s sponsors;
- calls meetings of the Committee as appropriate and approves the agenda for such meetings;
- chairs meetings of the Committee and agrees the minutes, written up by the Secretary, for distribution to Committee members;
- ensures that decisions taken by the Committee are carried out as appropriate;
- co-ordinates the work of the members of the Committee as appropriate;
- acts as the liaison between the Committee and all the support groups/individuals appointed to assist in the day to day running of the Society, including those for the website, publicity, catering, staging, front of house, Friends of HCS, raffles;
- acts as a central point of contact and/or reference for members of the Committee between meetings;
- initiates the replacement of office holders when vacancies occur;
- chairs the Music sub-committee meetings which discuss with the Musical Director future concert and workshop programmes;
- acts as the liaison between the Committee and the Musical Director regarding such matters as the rehearsal schedule and the outcome of Music sub-committee meetings;
- updates the Calendar of concert and open event dates/venues/programmes as far ahead as known, distributes paper copies to any Members without electronic access and passes the information to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- at the start of each term passes the rehearsal schedule to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ Area) and prints off copies for members without electronic access;
- passes any Notices given out at rehearsals or sent to all members by email to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- reviews the content and format of the website at least annually, in particular those sections which are not regularly updated by other Committee members, eg Home, About Us, Musical Team, Support Us (Friends, Patrons);
- invites guests (eg Town Mayor, charity representatives) to the annual Carol Concert and greets them on arrival;
- seeks to identify members of the public to become Patrons of the Society, maintains regular contact with Patrons throughout the concert season, sends complimentary tickets and greets them on arrival at concerts;
- maintains regular contact with Sponsors, identifies opportunities for new sponsorship and liaises with the Treasurer regarding applications for financial assistance;
- maintains regular contact with the President of the Society, informing him/her of Society matters and events and greets him/her on arrival at concerts;
- reports each year on the activities of the Society at the AGM and liaises with the Treasurer regarding the submission of the Trustees’ Annual Report.