HCS Job Description: Secretary
The Secretary is required to carry out the administration necessary to fulfil the business requirements of the Society.
The Secretary is elected at the Society’s Annual General Meeting (AGM). He or she is an honorary officer of the Society and a member of the Committee of the Society, in which the management of all aspects of choir business, including all arrangements for rehearsals and concerts and the control of finance, is vested. The post is normally held for three years, after which re-election is required. The Secretary is a Trustee of the Society (see attached Trustee Guide).
The Secretary is not empowered to enter into any commitment or incur any expenditure on behalf of the Society, except as expressly authorised by the Committee or by the Chair acting on behalf of the Committee.
- signs cheques and authorises online payments as required (any two signatures/authorisations of Chair, Secretary or Treasurer);
- acts as joint account holder of the Society’s savings account (as required);
- agrees the Agendas for Committee meetings with the Chair;
- distributes Agendas to Committee members in advance of meetings;
- writes up minutes and distributes them to Committee members after they have been approved by the Chair;
- Maintains an archive (excluding financial records) of the Society’s activities, keeps all files (electronic and hard-copy) up to date and takes relevant ones to Committee meetings; (first bullet point)
- agrees the Agendas for AGMs with the Chair;
- distributes to Society members and to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website) the AGM Agenda and calling notices, including minutes of the previous AGM, financial statements of the forthcoming AGM and all appropriate election proposal and voting papers;
- collects reports for the forthcoming AGM from the Chair, Treasurer and Musical Director for filing and for distribution to Society Members and the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- ensures all Officer and Committee posts are duly proposed and seconded and confirmed by nominees;
- confirms the re-appointment of the independent examiner of the Society’s accounts (if applicable);
- takes minutes of the AGM and after approval by the Committee passes them to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- books the rehearsal venue and arranges dates and times with owner’s representative;
- books concert venues and confirms in writing or by email, including rehearsal dates and times, staging requirements, changing and refreshment rooms for soloists and rooms for audience refreshments as required;
- books a reviewer for each concert and organises 2 complimentary tickets;
- sends a copy of the review to the Website Manager;
- updates the contact details for Committee members and other roles, distributes paper copies to any Members without electronic access and passes the information to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- updates the Constitution of the Society to incorporate amendments agreed at the AGM and passes a copy of the amended constitution to the Treasurer for submission to the Charity Commission where appropriate and to the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- updates Committee and non-committee job descriptions with any changes agreed by the Committee and passes any amended documents to Committee members, the relevant job holder and the Website Manager (for inclusion in the Members’ area of the website);
- supplies copies of all relevant documents (eg Constitution, job description, Trustee Guide) to any newly-appointed Trustee;
- undertakes such other tasks and duties as may be delegated by the Chair.