Harpenden Choral Society has an active and committed membership of about 90 people. We are happy to welcome new members (in all voice sections – SATB), but please note, the ability to read music is essential.
You can be sure to find challenge and inspiration as well as having great fun singing with a friendly group of people from a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Many of us have been part of Harpenden Choral Society for several years and a few have even been members since the choir’s foundation. Each year we welcome several new members in all sections.
As a member you will have the opportunity to:
- perform a wide range of works, with four concerts a year (to see our repertoire click here)
- perform with professional soloists and orchestral players
- develop your musical skills and vocal technique under the guidance of visiting specialist coaches and our regular conductor
- join in social events and make new friends
- take part in the roles and activities involved in running the society.
We rehearse on Tuesday evenings from 8pm to 10pm in the United Reformed Church Hall, Vaughan Road, Harpenden AL5 4HA. We meet from the beginning of September to the end of June with a break at Christmas and Easter.
Rehearsals are usually taken by our Musical Director, John Andrews, with piano accompaniment by Vivien Powles.
If you are interested in joining us please contact our Membership Secretary, Marion Oxley, to discuss coming along to a rehearsal. Marion can be contacted on 01582 832900 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Musical Director, John Andrews, holds a short voice test with each applicant (nothing too daunting) before membership is confirmed.
The annual membership subscription is £155, which can be paid in instalments. We offer subsidised membership fees (a reduction this year from £155 to £50) to under-25s; full-time students; those in receipt of income-related benefits.